Southwestern Family of Companies
The Warehouse Controller is a key member of the warehouse leadership team. They will contribute to all areas of warehouse management and operations to provide strong financial leadership. They are responsible for all accounting functions, as well as ensuring proper internal controls to mitigate risks, analyzing and reporting activity for all internal and external customers and development of the budget and business planning activities, etc.
- Responsible for all accounting functions at the warehouse in accordance with GAAP.
- Work with staff to analyze and report on daily production activity, including labor usage, etc.
- Work with staff on Billing, A/R, A/P, etc.
- Ensure proper internal controls are in place to safeguard company inventory/assets.
- Post daily/monthly journal entries for billing/AR activities, as well as internal cost allocations as necessary. Also includes monthly accruals and all other monthly journal entries required for a complete and accurate financial position for the operations.
- Responsible to work with the Warehouse Manager to plan and develop the annual budget and multi-year forecasts in alignment with Company policies and procedures.
- Responsible to prepare the monthly financial package, including variance analysis and other statistical reports for warehouse activities. Attend monthly FSR (Financial Statement Review) meetings to communicate variance explanations to management and recommendations for actions needed.
- Ensure accurate inventory counts by performing periodic audits. Also manage the planning, execution and reconciliation of the physical inventory counts.
- Work with each company’s CFO on warehouse/inventory activity analysis and other reporting as needed or requested. Will provide proactive/unsolicited consultation, interpretation and education of complex financial and operational matters to various company leaders used to drive business decisions.
- Implement best practices and develop benchmarks to ensure efficient operations.
- Implement and lead strategic projects for cost saving opportunities and find ways to streamline current processes for maximum efficiencies.
- Responsible to create a vision for the warehouse to improve profits and maintain customer satisfaction though competitive pricing and service levels. This would include competitor and regional research and analysis.
- Responsible to create quotes for new customers and continue to evaluate profit levels and recommend changes as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting. MBA/MAc and/or CPA a plus but not required.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in cost accounting in a warehouse/distribution center environment.
- Experience in budgeting and forecasting techniques as well as proficiency with financial statement analysis
- Demonstrated expertise in MS Office and in working with large-scale financial systems such as SAP, Oracle, etc.
Essential Mental Functions and Other Requirements
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills to lead senior management meetings.
- Advanced problem solving and strong analytical skills combined with proven ability to communicate those analysis to management.
- Highly analytical, detail oriented and strong business sense; proven ability to manage new ideas and creative solutions.
- Good Planning and organizational skills
- Experience in handling multiple concurrent tasks and meeting strict deadlines.
- Must demonstrate the highest standards of personal and professional integrity and character and promote ethical business behavior throughout the organization.
Essential Physical Functions
- Occasional lifting – Accounting records as necessary
- Sitting/standing for extended periods
- Office work environment
- Warehouse work environment – large amount of space to move about with temperature variances
- Extensive PC use
- Standard Office Equipment
- Periodic travel to and from corporate headquarters in Nashville
- Must be able to work extended hours as necessary to meet accounting deadlines as necessary
Supplement for Management and Professional Jobs
Work with the Warehouse Manager to appropriately spend for the operations of the warehouse, i.e., analyzing costs/purchases and making decision on those findings.
Recommend and implement new policies and procedures as necessary to improvement efficiencies and processes/vendors/systems, etc.
Work with the Warehouse Manager to develop pricing models for internal and external customers and continue to evaluate these decisions as they relate to the overall profit of the warehouse and implement changes as necessary with changing scenarios.
Work with legal to develop cost contracts for customers.
No supervisory responsibilities
Responsible for protecting the company assets at the warehouse by implementing/ensuring appropriate internal controls and by performing periodic audits.
Responsible to create the budget for the warehouse and ensure that the budget is followed. Will be responsible to make decisions for corrective actions if there are budget variances.
Will make decisions on contract pricing for customers to impact revenues and profits for the warehouse.