Southwestern Family of Companies
The Senior Tax Accountant is responsible for all aspects of managing sales and use tax in the Corporate Accounting Department for Southwestern Family of Companies. In addition, this position will assist in various income tax related Accounting tasks for all the companies under the SWFC umbrella. The Senior Tax Accountant reports to the Corporate Controller and will work closely with other team members within the department. This position will provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers and demonstrate the Company values while supporting the mission.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for accurate and timely completion, filing, and payment of all sales and use tax returns. Ensure payments avoid penalties or fines and maximize cash flow.
- Ensure accurate reconciliation of tax liabilities to the general ledger
- Stay up-to-date with changes in rates and state tax rules by reading monthly subscriptions, attending seminars, etc.
- Responsible for filing GST/HST Canadian tax returns timely and accurately
- Ensure implementation of any policy or procedural changes necessary related to audit finding or tax law changes.
- Indirect supervision of other staff members assisting in the various tasks related to data entry for all tax return types (i.e., dealer income tax returns, bonds, etc., related to the Advantage business line).
- Work with Advantage staff to resolve any permit issues for dealers. Keep sales tax and other business permits up-to-date and current.
- Issue bonds and insurance policies through our carriers as needed for the Advantage dealers.
- Prepare and/or assist in the prep work for Advantage Dealer income tax returns. When necessary, work with external CPA on the filing of these returns with the IRS.
- Coordinate and manage state sales and use tax audits: gather information, processes, research , report on, and respond to audit findings
- Monitor legislative and regulatory tax laws for changes, interpret tax laws, communicate changes to management, process any changes and initiate updates necessary in the company’s tax software (tax-exception rules, etc.).
- Responsible for Advantage seasonal tax correction process.
- Review AP to look for unpaid sales/use tax. If taxes are due, self-assessment of the taxes are completed and added to the returns.
- Maintain and update state and federal income tax tracking schedules and general ledger account analysis summaries.
- Responsible for the timely and accurate filing of all companies annual business tax returns.
- Provide PBC schedules to external tax CPA’s by the assigned deadlines
- Responsible for timely payment of taxes due and quarterly estimated payments
- Assist in the annual 1099/1042S process by filing states that require 1099 reporting and ensuring all forms are mailed out by the appropriate due dates
- Maintain and update all written procedures associated with areas of responsibility
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or related field
- Five years of accounting experience in a corporate environment
- Five years of multi-state sales tax experience
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and Outlook)
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously while accomplishing daily tasks
- Effective oral and written communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail, critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Exhibit sound judgement and decision-making skills
- High standards for integrity, honesty, professionalism, and work ethic
- Commitment to service excellence
- Ability to work independently while demonstrating excellent organization and follow through
- Demonstrate flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload
- Ability and willingness to move with purpose and a strong sense of urgency
- Self-motivated, positive, and enthusiastic
- Self-starter with a strong desire to exceed expectations and capable of supporting a team
- Maintain confidentiality discretion
- Ability to effectively work in collaboration with others to achieve business objectives
- Willing to grow and be challenged
- Attend additional training as requested/deemed necessary
- Ability to work in a traditional professional office setting or remote equivalent
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Advanced computer skills and ability to effectively operate computer equipment, software systems and databases
- Work schedule may vary and is determined by project schedules
- Ability to efficiently operate all job-related office equipment
- Ability to communicate via telephone, computer and work in virtual teams
- Must be able to lift up to 5 pounds at a time
- Ability to travel using personal vehicle to other office locations as needed
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform this position.
Employees must conduct business in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, professional standards and ethical standards and report potential compliance or ethical issues to a manager or the Human Resources Department.
Southwestern Family of Companies affirms our commitment to make reasonable accommodation for employees with disabilities, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. Please see the Human Resources Department for additional information.