Southwestern Family of Companies
The Corporate Controller directs the finance and accounting operations of the company and prepares financial analyses, including financial statements for the guidance of management. The position reports to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and is responsible for the company’s financial plans and policies, its accounting practices, the conduct of its relationships with lending institutions and the financial community, the maintenance of its fiscal records, and the preparation of financial reports. The position involves supervision over general accounting, payroll, property accounting, equity accounting, cost accounting, and budgetary controls.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop, analyze, and interpret statistical and accounting information in order to appraise, operating results in terms of profitability, performance against budget, and other matters bearing on the fiscal soundness and operating effectiveness of the business.
• Responsible for evaluating the performance of personnel in the Finance department. Recommends training requirements to ensure team members have the highest level of skills necessary to meet company needs and objectives.
• Maintain the general ledger and accounting system and oversee the books and records on all company transactions and assets.
• Research new standards and recommend proper GAAP accounting treatment as needed.
• Responsible for providing effective financial controls for the organization.
• Establish economic objectives and policies for the company and prepares reports that outline the company’s financial position in the areas of income, expenses, and earnings based on past, present, and future operations used to manage the business.
• Responsible for informing and advising key persons of trends and developments within financial records and sales activity reports as a result of analytical work to assure that accurate information necessary to make decisions is received timely.
• Review and approve invoice payments, wires, and ACH.
• Review current compensation and incentive plans periodically and design new plans as needed.
• Lead Financial Statement Review meetings with leadership team.
• Assist with coordinating the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts.
• Oversight of the annual external audit process.
• Responsible for tax planning and compliance with all federal, state, and local corporate, payroll, and other applicable taxes.
• Provide internal reports, revise and update reports to be more useful and efficient, and provide external reports as necessary.
• Determine depreciation rates to apply to capitalized items and advise management on desirable operational adjustments due to tax revisions.
• Evaluate and recommends insurance coverage for protection against property losses and potential liabilities.
• Assist the CFO with special projects.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field.
• Certified Public Accountant license required.
• 7 years of experience in financial management, with increasing level of responsibility throughout.
• Proven leadership experience managing direct reports and special projects.
• Excellent understanding of data analysis, budgeting and business operations.
• Superior analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
• A strong strategic and business mindset.
• Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
• Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities.
• Exceptionally self-motivated, self-directed, and able to maintain focus in a rapidly changing environment.
• Highly organized and able to communicate in detail as well as abstractions.
• Experience with and knowledge of direct sales industry is a plus.
• Ability to work in a traditional professional office setting or remote equivalent.
• Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
• Advanced computer skills and ability to effectively operate computer equipment, software systems and databases.
• Work schedule may vary and is determined by project schedules.
• Ability to efficiently operate all job-related office equipment.
• Ability to communicate via telephone, computer and work in virtual teams.
• Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at a time.
• The responsibilities may require occasional overnight travel.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform this position.
Employees must conduct business in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, professional standards and ethical standards and report potential compliance or ethical issues to a manager or the Human Resources Department.
Southwestern Family of Companies affirms our commitment to make reasonable accommodation to known physical or mental limitations of otherwise-qualified individuals with disabilities or special disabled veterans, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. Please see the Human Resources Department for additional information.