Southwestern Investment Group
801 Crescent Centre Drive, Suite 600
Franklin, TN 37067
The Compensation/Payroll Accountant will facilitate the preparation of monthly payout statements for Southwestern Investment Group (SWIG) Financial Advisors (FA’s) and licensed support staff, leading directly to payment of fee-based payout and brokerage commissions. The position will provide timely, accurate information and statistics to individual FA’s and management. They will work with IT to implement and maintain automated systems, address issues and exceptions, develop reports and efficient processes for confidentially distributing payout statements, with an objective of performing payout calculations with a low error rate. The Compensation/Payroll Accountant will provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers while demonstrating the company values and supporting the mission.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Calculate fee-based payout and commissions for FA’s and licensed members of administrative teams, all of whom are W-2 employees, using MS Excel, SAP, or other automated systems
- Post fee payout and commission accruals to general ledger accounts
- Reconcile accrual balance sheet accounts with payroll postings
- Reconcile revenue details to facilitate accurate commission runs
- Interface tactfully and professionally with FA’s to answer compensation and business questions and facilitate problem solving
- Work with IT to implement automated systems with an objective of performing payout calculations with a low error rate. Conduct testing, vet the accuracy of the systems, and work with IT to maintain systems and address issues and exceptions as they arise.
- Work with IT to develop reports from automated payout systems
- Develop and oversee efficient processes for confidentially distributing payout statements and other compensation related reports through the use of M-Files or SharePoint
- Review and approve semimonthly time sheets for hourly staff members and communicate with administrative employees as needed
- Track completion of annual performance reviews by FA’s for their support staff and ensure that merit increases are correctly calculated and submitted to the Payroll Department.
- Work with the Staff Accountant to establish business expense draw levels to align with reported expenses under the Company’s Accountable Plan. Determine periodic adjustments and submit requests for such to the Payroll Department. Communicate with FA’s regarding expense draws and adjustments.
- Monitor and forecast FA overdraws and take corrective action as needed in consultation with the CFO; process and submit draw change requests.
- Generate timely historical statistics, reports, and projections to reinforce FA objectives, monitor historical trends and forecasts for the Company, including the preparation of annual individual “Vision Sheets” for FA’s.
- Work with CFO and Assistant Controller to assist in the annual budget preparation
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance or related field
- 5 years of proven experience in general accounting; payroll and commission compensation experience beneficial, but not required
- Strong knowledge of MS Office (Excel, in particular), accounting software, and databases
- Ability to manipulate and process large amounts of data with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously while accomplishing daily tasks
- Effective oral and written communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail, critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- High standards for integrity, honesty, professionalism, and work ethic
- Commitment to service excellence
- Ability to work independently while demonstrating excellent organization and follow through
- Demonstrates flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload
- Ability and willingness to move with purpose and a strong sense of urgency
- Self-motivated, positive, and enthusiastic
- Self- starter with a strong desire to exceed expectations and capable of supporting a team
- Maintains confidentiality discretion
- Ability to effectively work in collaboration with others to achieve business objectives
- Willing to grow and be challenged
- Attends additional training as requested/deemed necessary
- Ability to work in a traditional professional office setting or remote equivalent
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Advanced computer skills and ability to effectively operate computer equipment, software systems and databases
- Work schedule may vary and is determined by project schedules
- Ability to efficiently operate all job-related office equipment
- Ability to communicate via telephone, computer and work in virtual teams
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at a time
- Ability to travel using personal vehicle to other office locations as needed
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform this position.
Employees must conduct business in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, professional standards and ethical standards and report potential compliance or ethical issues to a manager or the Human Resources Department.
Southwestern Family of Companies affirms our commitment to make reasonable accommodation to known physical or mental limitations of otherwise-qualified individuals with disabilities or special disabled veterans, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. Please see the Human Resources Department for additional information.