Southwestern Family of Companies
The Benefits Specialist is responsible for coordinating and planning the benefits programs to include health, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, worker’s compensation, life insurance, flexible spending plan, employee profit-sharing, and 401(k) savings plan.
Provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers. Ensure quality benefit plans, investigates new benefits programs, improves existing programs, and manages benefits administration. Administer leaves of absence, workers’ compensation and unemployment claims. Demonstrate the company values while supporting the mission.
· Coordinate medical, dental, vision insurance plans, and all daily benefits related activity.
· Process benefit enrollments and determine employee eligibility.
· Administer COBRA, retiree insurance programs, terminations, changes, beneficiaries, disability, accident and death claims, rollovers, distributions, loans, hardships, and compliance testing.
· Provide customer service support to internal and external customers. Advise employees of their benefit options and develop communication tools to enhance understanding of the company’s benefits package.
· Collaborate and maintain professional communication with internal departments.
· Serve as the primary contact for plan brokers, vendors, and third-party administrators. Coordinate the transfer of data to external contacts for services, premiums, and plan administration.
· Ensure compliance with applicable government regulations, including ACA. Ensure timeliness and accuracy of required reporting and fees.
· Coordinate annual open enrollment activities. Design and distribute materials for benefits orientations, open enrollment, and summary plan descriptions.
· Prepare New Hire and Termination benefit packages. Conduct new hire benefit information sessions, as needed.
· Comply with Qualified Domestic Relations Orders and Qualified Medical Child Support Orders.
· Ensure timely payment of monthly premiums.
· Counsel employees regarding leaves of absences, FMLA, and ADA accommodation requests. Ensure proper coordination of FMLA and track FMLA approvals and denials.
· Primary contact for reporting workers’ compensation claims and annual workers’ compensation reporting.
· Responsible for unemployment claim administration and inquiries, including disputes.
· Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publication, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
· Other duties as needed or required.
· Associates Degree.
· Three years of proven experience in benefits administration.
· Solid understanding of different benefit plans (retirement, health & dental insurance etc.) and relevant regulations.
· Strong analytical skills and a thorough knowledge of plan designs.
· Knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, both adopted and pending, affecting employee benefits programs, including ERISA, COBRA, FMLA and ADA.
· Hands-on experience with HRIS.
· Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously while accomplishing daily tasks.
· Effective oral and written communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
· Attention to detail.
· Critical thinker and problem-solving skills.
· High standards for integrity, honesty, professionalism, and work ethic.
· Commitment to service excellence.
· Ability to work independently while demonstrating excellent organization and follow-through.
· Demonstrates flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload.
· Ability and willingness to move with purpose and a strong sense of urgency.
· Self-motivated, positive, and enthusiastic.
· Self- starter with a strong desire to exceed expectations and capable of supporting a team to achieve successful results.
· Maintains confidentiality discretion.
· Ability to effectively work in collaboration with others to achieve business objectives.
· Willing to grow and be challenged.
· Attends additional training as requested/deemed necessary.
Essential Mental Functions
· Ability to understand, answer questions and resolve issues related to complex medical, life, and disability benefits plans. Use logical reasoning to understand and problem-solve complex benefits and employment issues.
Essential Physical Functions
· Ability to use a computer and general office machines.
This position is located in Nashville, TN.